Direct Democracy is mob rule

A place where general ideas can be submitted that could be applied across the board.
madmin
Site Admin

Re: Direct Democracy is mob rule

Post by madmin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:33 am

that's a good point, but almost anything is better than to allow money interests to decide.. wikipedia was interesting for a while, but since it was purchased (by a source which did not declare itself other than "a bunch of monkeys"), I noticed that anything of "conspiratorial or contesting value" was quickly removed. Like I said, the more of us that become like investigative journalists, start to ask questions and use our brains, the better. Such a forum would only help this.

0   0 

A snowflake can start an avalanche.
inspiration

other

Post by other » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 am

big topics, just curious, were you able to read that wiki article I sent about the 5 stages of civil society?

0   0 

this user created by site admin to post messages sent by direct email or posted on this site's facebook account

madmin
Site Admin

Post by madmin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 am

yup, just read it. don't know where the US fits in this but money in politics is probably a core problem here. amazing that politicians get quite a juicy salary, which stays in place forever, even after they lose position in office. then they can make laws while at the same time being allowed to invest into the stock market, so naturally insider trading. then there is a revolving door between government positions and highly paid positions in big companies who lobby the government. it's totally ridinkulous and most people just seem asleep about it all.

0   0 

inspiration

other

Post by other » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 am

what do you think of the idea that every dollar spent is a vote cast?

0   0 

this user created by site admin to post messages sent by direct email or posted on this site's facebook account

madmin
Site Admin

Post by madmin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:35 am

that's another thing i wanted to try to start before this, which is some website where companies are ranked in terms of environmental respect, child labour, treatment of employees and so forth. unfortunately i think most people just don't give a shit. they're gonna keep buying mostly according to price, or their shiny macbook even though chinese are jumping out of factory windows. i always try to support mamapapa small business, even though most expensive, but most people just don't care me thinks, so we eventually suffer from monopoly power

0   0 

inspiration

other

Post by other » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:35 am

are you sure that Democracy isn't another fable that we tell ourselves? That we live in one, or that it is even possible?

It's an Idea that pre-dates the bible, and yet, has it been attained anywhere?
Or do we participate in the appearance of Democracy?

0   0 

madmin
Site Admin

Post by madmin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am

well the swiss seem to be doing okay with their canton system. the point is that we did not have the internet before, so were forced to use some kind of representative democracy. for the reasons i already mentioned, i think it is a good idea to give average joe more teeth or vote, otherwise they just feel disenfranchised, spend their time watching sports or tv and end up getting ruled by those obsessed with having more power and benefits

0   0 

inspiration

other

Post by other » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am

so the Swiss are free from a power elite?

0   0 

madmin
Site Admin

Post by madmin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am

i havent studied that but from what i've heard the canton system is working well. you asked for a sample of democracy somewhere

0   0 

inspiration

madmin
Site Admin

Post by madmin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 am

i don't think my voting site could ever "insure" that a power elite is not in control but by allowing average joe to vote on individual issues etc i believe it would make it more difficult for the power elite

0   0 

inspiration